Monday, July 25, 2005

Lost

I've just discovered 'Lost'.



Yes yes, I know it's been showing on Channel 5 and AXN these past few weeks, and I'm horribly behind the times. But in my defence, channel 5 was showing it at 10 pm on Thursdays - a time when I was on my way back home from the gym so I never did watch a single episode.

And everyone and their dog has been telling me that it's a great show (or that they've heard it's supposed to be a good show). So much so that I've been going round saying that it's supposed to be a good show.

So when I woke up on Saturday morning at noon (after a late late late night out) and turned on the TV, AXN had just kicked off its weekly 'Lost' marathon - 5 hours of 'Lost'. So this Saturday, I spent 5 hours in front of the TV, and watched episodes 11 through 15, and got hooked.

I also spent a large amount of time on Sunday reading synopses of the previous 10 episodes here. And I must admit, I did take a peek at the rest of the upcoming episodes too.

In my opinion, what makes 'Lost' good viewing is:
  • An interesting plot (castaways on a deserted island)
  • Characters with a tortured past (all revealed as the show progresses)
  • Lots of inter-character dynamics (for instance: love, hate, suspicion, pity - all between the same 2 persons!)
  • Incredible suspense on the nature of the threat on the island
  • Some supernatural (and religious?) imagery (which would work very well after the success of Dan Brown).


Can't wait for next Saturday.